Jessica Filkins, founder of Jahmu PBC has started an exciting new project: guided tea meditations! Tea Meditations aim to turn the routine habit of drinking beverages into a ritual or meditation by curating and offering guided meditations that one can practice while drinking a beverage of one’s choice. Tea Meditations promote mindfulness through connecting with the intention of your actions.
The Tea Meditation project is based on the hypothesis that taking time to drink your tea, coffee or other warm beverage in the morning with awareness and intention will help you to be more present and mindful during other activities throughout the day. This may correlate with making better food choices and finding deeper enjoyment in daily life.
Despite the growing body of scientific studies proving the physical and mental health benefits of meditation, most people in the US do not take the time to meditate every day. However, most of us DO drink coffee, tea or atleast water every single morning. This habit can easily be transformed into a powerful ritual though the practice of tea mediations.
The tea meditation project will soon offer an free app with inapp purchase options of professionally recorded guided tea meditations. These meditations will be led by variety of yoga teachers and healers and will have resonate background music. Each recording will have a different focus, for example; heal your tummy meditations, manifest abundance meditation, clear your mind meditation, let go of of fear meditation, balance your chakras meditation, ext.
You can get a sneek peek as some of Jessica’s original tea meditations on the website teameditations.com or the facebook page facebook.com/teameditationproject. Jessica hopes that the tea meditation project will bring love, light, health and happiness to everyone who chooses to practice.
Try this tea meditation on you own!
- Make a cup of tea (or warm water with lemon)
- Sit in a peaceful place
- Take a few moments to ground yourself, become aware of the thoughts in your mind and the feelings in your body and connect with your breath.
- Bring your awareness to your cup of tea and notice the warmth, the smell, and the feeling it emits.
- Set an intention for drinking this cup of tea. Are you drinking it to improve your health, to enjoy the taste, to calm you mind? You can even get creative and imagine this tea is a magical elixir that can transform you in any way you desire 😉
- For your first sip or two just pay attention to the feelings and sensations of the warm liquid in your mouth and notice it passing down your throat into your stomach as if you were drinking liquid sunshine.
- For you next 3 sips think of 3 things you are grateful for in your life. Feel the gratitude with each sip.
- For you next 3 sips think of 3 things you would like to happen today and imagine those experience occurring with every sip. For example what would make today great? For example, imagine yourself finishing a project you want to complete, getting a flattering compliment, doing a fun activity with a friend or finishing a good workout or yoga class.
- For the next 3 (or more) sips do a “I am …” affirmation with each sip. For example I am healthy, I am focused, I am beautiful, I am wealthy I am graceful…ext. Really feel each sip bringing the energy of the affirmation into you body and feel it radiating out from your belly.
- As you finish your tea comeback to any of these positive feelings or thoughts and imagine that tea inside your belly will attract to you these desired events to you throughout the day. Feel full of gratitude, love, and light.